Captain Mohammad Safdar arrested over violating sanctity of Quaid's mausoleum in Karachi

APP Digital Small logo

Captain (Retd) Safdar, the husband of Pakistan Muslim League vice president Maryam Nawaz Sharif, who was arrested on Monday morning on violating the sanctity of Quaid’s mausoleum in Karachi, was released on bail later in the day.

Muhammad Safdar was given bail by the judicial magistrate on surety bonds of Rs 100,000.

The Sindh Police made the arrest the day after a First Information Report (FIR) was registered against Maryam Nawaz, Captain (r) Safdar and hundreds others on slogan-mongering inside the Quaid’s mausoleum.


The FIR was registered under Sections 6, 8 and 10 of the Quaid-e-Azam’s Mazar (Protection and Maintenance Ordinance, 1971).


Quaid-i-Azam's Mazar (Protection and Maintenance) (Amendment) Act. 1976
Quaid-i-Azam’s Mazar (Protection and Maintenance) (Amendment) Act. 1976

The arrest was confirmed by Maryam Nawaz.

However Minister for Education, Sindh and PPP President Karachi Senator Saeed Ghani regretted the incident at the mausoleum of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah as “inappropriate”, and pointed that the action of the Karachi police was also condemnable. He clarified that the Sindh government had noting to do with the arrest of Safdar.

Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Ali Haider Zaidi lauded the action taken by Inspector General Sindh against the hooligans, however termed the statement of Maryam Nawaz a lie.

Federal Minister for Science and Technology Chaudhry Fawad Hussain said the arrest by Sindh Police was reflective of the narrative of rule of law.

He said grave of the Quaid was a place of respect and reverence, not a “playground for mean politicians to display their irresponsible behaviour”.

Federal Minister for Education Shafqat Mehmood said he was ‘glad’ over arrest of Captain (r) Safdar for “committing a crime at Mazar-e-Quaid” yesterday.

The arrested Captain (r) Safdar was presented before the court the same day for record of his statement and was released on bail by Judicial Magistrate East after submission of surety bonds worth Rs100,000.