Illegal detention taking heavy toll on my health: Ali Gilani

Gilani urges IOK people to completely boycott sham polls

ISLAMABAD, Jan 19 (APP): The veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani,who was not feeling well for past several days, has said that continued house arrest is taking heavy toll on his health.
According to Kashmir Media Service, Ali Gilani is suffering with chest congestion and is undergoing treatment at his Hyderpora residence in Srinagar. After complaining of breathlessness, he was administered oxygen on Sunday morning.
“By Almighty Allah’s blessings, I am gradually recovering and feeling a
bit better now,” the veteran leader said in an interview. “During winters, I
face health problems. For past several years, I used to go to Delhi during
winter, but this year I preferred to stay here,” he said. But more than cold
or infection, the illegal confinement to my house is taking toll on my health, he stated.
Syed Ai Gilani said that since 2010, he was under continued house
arrest whenever he was in Srinagar. “Even now when I am not feeling well and unable to walk properly, I am still under house arrest. This is grave human rights violation,” he added.
He said that doctors had advised him regular walk in open area, but
successive regimes had turned his house into a virtual jail. Due to illegal
confinement, I am not even able to perform my religious and social
obligations, he said.
Advised rest by doctors, the veteran leader spends the day offering
prayers and reading newspapers. “Despite health complications, I ensure to
keep myself abreast with happenings in Kashmir. At the same time, I am
overwhelmed by the concern of people for me. But they should understand that
these days I cannot meet all visitors due to health complications,” he further said.
On Monday, a few people were allowed to meet the veteran leader.
“You should take care of your health. Precautions are must to avoid
cold and infection,” the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik, advised Syed Ali Gilani.
Dr Naveed Nazir, a chest specialist, said that Syed Ali Gilani was
responding to treatment. “He is asthmatic and is suffering with chest
congestion due to infection. It will take some more days for Gilani sahib to
fully recover,” he added.
Syed Ali Gilani has a pacemaker installed since 1997. In 2003, his left
kidney was removed at a hospital in Mumbai as it had developed carcinoma. In
2004, his gall bladder was removed at a hospital in Delhi. He was again
operated upon in 2007 and half of his right kidney was removed. In 2008, a new pace maker was installed at a hospital in New Delhi. In 2010, his eyes were operated upon at another hospital in the Indian capital.