IHC gives final deadline to Planning Division for release of funds for Bhong Interchange

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday gave a final deadline to the Planning Division for release of funds for construction of the Bhong Interchange on the Multan-Sukkur Motorway in accordance with a Supreme Court judgment.

ISLAMABAD, Aug 20 (APP): The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday gave a final deadline to the Planning Division for release of funds for construction of the Bhong Interchange on the Multan-Sukkur Motorway in accordance with a Supreme Court judgment.
Justice Muhammad Asif expressed serious displeasure over the non-release of funds for the project and directed an official to convey to the Secretary Planning that the court was giving a final opportunity for release of the funds.
“Go and tell the Secretary that we are giving a final deadline for releasing the funds,” the judge remarked, warning that if the funds were not released, the Secretary Planning would be summoned and charges framed against him.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Rais Munir through his counsel, Advocate Waqar Rana, seeking implementation of the Supreme Court’s decision regarding construction of the Bhong Interchange.
During the proceedings, the petitioner’s counsel said the court was being repeatedly approached as the matter involved implementation of the Supreme Court’s order under Article 187 of the Constitution.
He said the National Highway Authority (NHA), Planning Division and Finance Division had assured that the project would be completed within one year, but two and a half years had passed beyond the expected completion date.
The counsel said around 50 per cent of the project had been completed, but the remaining work was being delayed due to non-release of funds by the Finance and Planning divisions.
The NHA’s counsel submitted that the project was part of the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) and required implementation in accordance with the court’s directions. He said the NHA had demanded Rs900 million for the next financial year but the amount had not yet been released.
The NHA’s counsel said the Planning Division could explain why the funds had not been released.
Advocate Waqar Rana requested the court to constitute a commission to visit the project site and assess the progress of work. He said a previous order for constitution of a commission had not been implemented.
He further contended that the Secretary Planning and officials of the Finance Division were committing contempt of court by failing to implement the directions.
The counsel said the parties had been pursuing the matter for nearly three years and urged the court to summon the Secretary Planning.
Justice Muhammad Asif remarked that the project had been given one year for completion, whereas three years had now passed.
The judge again directed the law officer to convey to the Secretary that the court could frame charges if the funds were not released.
The law officer requested the court not to summon the Secretary immediately, saying that she would obtain instructions from the concerned authorities.
The court adjourned further hearing of the case until September 8.
What to read next...