China ready to provide support based on Indonesia needs: Lin Jian

A few Chinese citizens were injured in the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck Indonesia, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Monday, adding that China stands ready to provide support and aid based on Indonesia’s needs.

BEIJING, Aug 17 (APP): A few Chinese citizens were injured in the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck Indonesia, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Monday, adding that China stands ready to provide support and aid based on Indonesia’s needs.
When asked at a regular briefing whether Chinese tourists had been affected by the earthquake, which struck East Nusa Tenggara and was felt in Bali and several other destinations popular among Chinese visitors, and whether the ministry would advise Chinese citizens to avoid traveling to affected areas, Lin said, “to my knowledge, a few Chinese citizens were injured in the earthquake. The Chinese Consulate General in Denpasar has activated the emergency consular response mechanism to assist the injured.”
Responding to a separate question about casualties from the earthquake, which struck waters off Flores on Saturday, and whether China would provide assistance, Lin said, “China is following the disaster in Indonesia. We express deep condolences for the lives lost in the earthquake. Our hearts go out to the bereaved families and the injured. China stands ready to provide support and aid in light of Indonesia’s needs.”
The death toll from the earthquake in Indonesia’s East Nusa Tenggara province had risen to 68, the National Disaster Management Agency said on Monday, according to a Xinhua News Agency report published on Monday afternoon.
At least 1,576 aftershocks have been recorded since the main quake, the agency said. Roads in the affected areas are generally passable with some restrictions, while no residents remain reported missing across the seven affected regencies, according to Xinhua.
What to read next...