ISLAMABAD, Feb 18 (APP):A sepoy of Pakistan Customs was martyred while two others were injured in a pre-dawn terrorist attack on the Customs Check Post Yarik on Wednesday.
The terrorists launched an assault on the check-post at around 0030 hours, demanding surrender of arms and control of the facility. However, 27 customs officials stationed at the post retaliated with courage and repelled the attack, said a press release.
A heavy exchange of fire continued for more than an hour as the armed assailants used sophisticated weapons. Despite repeated calls by the terrorists to surrender, the customs personnel held their ground and prevented greater loss of life and property.
During the exchange of fire, Sepoy Muhammad Ibrar embraced shahadat while defending the post. Another sepoy, Muhammad Noman, sustained critical injuries and was shifted to a medical facility for treatment. A third sepoy, Khanwez Khan, was reported missing and is suspected to have been abducted during the incident.
The terrorists also caused damage to the check-post before fleeing the scene.
Member Customs (Operations) and the Collectorate of Customs (Enforcement), Peshawar paid tribute to Shaheed Muhammad Ibrar and expressed solidarity with his family, stating that his bravery and sacrifice prevented greater losses.
Chairman Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) lauded the services rendered by the martyred official and said that the department stood firmly with the bereaved family. He directed that the Prime Minister’s Shuhada Package be disbursed to the family without delay, including offering appointment in the department to the widow of the Shaheed.
Shaheed Muhammad Ibrar, 28, hailed from P/O Darra Pezu, Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan. He had served in Pakistan Customs for four years and had been married in January 2026. He is survived by his parents, widow and three siblings.
Officials said further details regarding identification of the assailants and efforts to trace the missing sepoy would be shared as investigations progress.