Three SRA-linked terrorists arrested

KARACHI, Aug 19 (APP):The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) Sindh and a federal intelligence agency have arrested three suspected terrorists allegedly involved in the killing of a man at an Independence Day stall in Defence Phase-II, officials said on Wednesday. Deputy Inspector General of Police CTD Capt. (R) Ghulam Azfar Meahsar, flanked by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) CTD Operations, Irfan Bahadur and SSP South Mahzor Ali, told a press conference …

KARACHI, Aug 19 (APP):The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) Sindh and a federal intelligence agency have arrested three suspected terrorists allegedly involved in the killing of a man at an Independence Day stall in Defence Phase-II, officials said on Wednesday.
Deputy Inspector General of Police CTD Capt. (R) Ghulam Azfar Meahsar, flanked by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) CTD Operations, Irfan Bahadur and SSP South Mahzor Ali, told a press conference that the suspects were arrested during a joint operation near the Causeway in Korangi Industrial Area Wednesday.
The suspects were identified as Zafar Ali, Faraz and Sajjad Ahmed. Three hand grenades and a pistol were recovered from their possession, the officials said.
The incident occurred at around 11:30pm on August 12 near a petrol pump on Sunset Boulevard, Defence Phase-II, where a stall was selling national flags, buntings and badges ahead of Independence Day.
The firing left 35-year-old Aman, son of Javed, critically injured. He was taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, where he succumbed to his injuries. A case (FIR No. 665/2026) was subsequently registered at Defence Police Station.
The victim, a resident of Christian Town, Korangi, had been operating the stall in Defence Phase-II since the beginning of August to earn a livelihood.
The officials said the CTD and the federal agency launched a joint investigation following the incident and formed teams to trace the suspects. Investigators used technical intelligence and other available evidence to identify and track the alleged perpetrators.
During initial interrogation, the suspects allegedly disclosed their affiliation with the proscribed Sindhudesh Revolutionary Army (SRA). According to investigators, they had allegedly been tasked by an SRA operative based abroad, identified as Arsalan Shah, to conduct reconnaissance of Independence Day stalls in Karachi and target one of them.
The officials said Sajjad Ahmed Mallah had allegedly started conducting reconnaissance of various stalls in Karachi from August 3 and the Defence Phase-II stall was selected as the target on August 11.
According to the preliminary investigation, Sajjad travelled to the scene on a 125cc motorcycle on the night of August 12, while Zafar and Faraz allegedly followed on another motorcycle to provide support and cover. Sajjad allegedly opened fire on Aman at the stall before fleeing the scene.
Investigators said the suspects had allegedly travelled from Allahwala Town, Korangi, and their movements following the attack, as well as the possible involvement of facilitators, were being investigated.
The suspects also allegedly told investigators that they had received financial assistance from abroad to create fear and panic in Karachi ahead of August 14.
The accused have been booked under Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997, and relevant provisions of Sections 4 and 5 of the Explosive Substances Act, 1908.
Further investigations were under way to identify possible facilitators and overseas contacts, trace sources of financial assistance and the supply of weapons and explosives, and determine whether the suspects were involved in other terrorist activities.
The officials said further legal action would be taken against other suspects and facilitators if additional evidence emerged.
What to read next...