ISLAMABAD, Feb 22 (APP): More than 100 beggars have been shifted to detention facilities since the start of Ramazan, as the district administration in Islamabad stepped up action against organized begging.
The drive is being carried out on the directions of Deputy Commissioner (DC) Irfan Nawaz Memon, with all Assistant Commissioners assigned special tasks to enforce the campaign across the city.
Officials said operations began on the first day of Ramazan and have continued daily in markets, traffic junctions, entry points, and public places. During these actions, more than 100 individuals involved in begging were taken into custody and moved to holding centers. The administration said the focus is on those operating as part of organized networks that become active during the holy month.
The DC stated that data of detained beggars is being compiled to prevent their re-entry into the city. According to officials, records will be shared with relevant departments to strengthen checks at entry points and reduce repeat activity. The administration said this step aims to ensure that individuals previously detained do not return to the same locations.
Irfan Nawaz Memon said networks that exploit public generosity during Ramazan would be stopped. He added that enforcement teams are coordinating with law enforcement and social welfare departments to identify patterns, routes, and handlers linked to organized begging.
The DC noted that sustained action requires public cooperation. He said the administration alone cannot address the issue without timely information from residents. Citizens were urged to identify beggars operating at signals, markets, mosques, and commercial areas and inform the district administration immediately.
Officials explained that teams are working in shifts to cover peak hours, especially before iftar and during evening shopping times. Assistant Commissioners are supervising field operations and submitting daily reports on actions taken, locations covered, and follow-up measures.
The administration also said that checks are being carried out near city entry points to stop the inflow of beggars from other areas. Coordination with traffic police and local law enforcement has been strengthened to identify repeat offenders and move them out of public spaces.
The DC reiterated that the purpose of the campaign is to maintain order and ensure smooth movement in the city during Ramazan. He said enforcement would continue throughout the month and that legal steps would be taken where required under existing laws.