PBCC seeks govt permission for participation in Asia Cup

513

ISLAMABAD, Oct 28 (APP): Pakistan Blind Cricket Council (PBCC)
on Wednesday said the decision to participate in the First-ever Asia Cricket
Cup in India next year will only be taken after consent from the Government.
The Asia Cricket Cup of the Blind is scheduled to be held in Kochi,
India from January 17 to 24. Besides Pakistan up till now the teams to
participate in the event include Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal.
PBCC Chairman Syed Sultan Shah said the Cricket Association of the
Blind in India (CABI) has requested PBCC to reconsider the decision to not
participate in the Asia Cup.
It is pertinent to mention that last week PBCC pulled out of the
national blind cricket team from the Asia Cup due to security concerns for
the Pakistani nationals in India after the Shiv Sena’s attack on Board of
Control of Cricket in India (BCCI), causing cancellation of Pakistan Cricket
Board (PCB) Chairman Shahryar Khan’s meeting.
Sultan said Mahantesh GK, CABI General Secretary in a letter written
to PBCC had said that Pakistan’s withdrawal from Asia Cup is shocking and
sad. “Asia Cup will take place in Kochi which is one of the safest cities in
India,” Mahantesh wrote adding India had earlier hosted Pakistan for a
Cricket series in March 2012 and 1st Twenty-20 World Cup in Bangalore, in
December the same year.
Mahantesh wrote Indian blind cricket team has always responded to
Pakistan’s invitation positively amidst all uncertainties. “Indian team toured
Pakistan in November 2011 and then in February 2014 overlooking the
security concerns in Pakistan,” he expressed. Therefore CABI wants PBCC
to reconsider its decision about Asia Cup.
Sultan said at this moment we cannot take the decision of participation
in the Asia Cup at our own. “We will consult the Pakistani Government first
and then if they permit us to go in the event then we will take the decision,”
he said.
He said the India team will also tour Pakistan in 2017 and for that
they have taken permission from their government. “We will also consult the
government of whether they allow us to hold a series with India here in 2017
or not,” he said.