ICC invites Ireland to participate in U19 world cup replacing Australia

695

ISLAMABAD, Jan 05 (APP): In a major development, International Cricket Council (ICC) has invited Ireland to take part in U19 world cup replacing Australia which had some security concerns while playing in Bangladesh.

The ICC would continue to prepare for this month’s U19 Cricket World Cup Bangladesh 2016, despite Australia withdrawing its team from the event and expressing its concerns about the safety and security of its squad and management, ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said in a statement.

The council explained that its own security manager and an independent security agency had been working very closely with the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the Bangladesh security agencies, and that the planned security arrangements satisfactorily mitigate the risks identified such that it remains appropriate for the event to continue as planned.

“Whilst the ICC notes and respects the position of Cricket Australia, which we understand is based on an advice received from the Australian government, we are obviously disappointed with the decision,” the statement said.

Richardson said naturally, as part of that planning process, the ICC’s own security team, supported by an independent security agency, would continue to monitor closely the situation in Bangladesh, including all travel advisories provided by relevant government agencies.

He said security plans associated with an event of this size and stature were always subject to continual review to ensure that they remain appropriate and fit for purpose, and this event was no different.

“The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is an extremely important event on the ICC calendar, which has a reputation of producing international stars.

We remain confident that the ICC, in conjunction with the BCB, will be able to successfully deliver this event in Bangladesh,” Richardson concluded.